Lessons 1 & 2

Today, I’ve started a training session called “Designing a Book,” which something I’ve very interested. Truthfully, I’m interested in anything that has to do with publication layouts such as books, magazines and (not so much) newspapers. Books especially.

In lesson 1 “Getting Started,” I got a rundown of the different parts of a book, like the Front Matter, Body Matter and End Matter. The Front Matter usually consists of title page, copyright page, dedication, table of contents, forward, preface, etc. The Body Matter contains the main part of the book that can be divided into parts, sections or chapters. The End Matter is usually optional but can contain a glossary, bibliography of sources and/or index page.

In lesson 2 I worked on how to set up the document so that I could start placing the text.rtf for the novel. I used the text from the story Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland because of how universal and classical the literature is.

I started with a blank document without ant margins, then uses a placeholder text to fill both pages before formatting my margins how I wanted them.

Lesson 2 - Adding headers and running headers

I then added a text field above the left page to serve as a header for the title of the book.

Lesson 2 - Adding page numbers

In the above image, I added a text field to the left of my outside margin on the left page to insert page number. By selecting both the “page number” field and “title” field I option+clicked dragged these two field to the right page, and reversed the two fields so that I would have a copy. I then deleted the “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” title and inserted a running header so that the title of the chapter would show up on the right page instead.

Lesson 2 - Adding line numbers

When laying out a book, the client may find issues with text in the line of the page. In order to make it easier for me to make changes, the client can simply tell me which line the issue was in and I can go change it. However, I first need to create these numbered lines by adding another layer to the document that is NOT printable in the “Layers” panel. I then created a column of returns along the outside margins along with a numbered list to represent each line of text.